Sunday, May 23, 2010

Marinating for several hours

The gruyere cheese lies against the bowl sides in thin strips,
hiding the flower-glazed rim.
The onion is finely chopped, the parsley minced
and all of that added to a shaken jar of vinaigrette.

I don't normally like the taste of mustard,
but I will try this with dijon, as Patricia directs.
With each yellow-smelling wave I tell myself
a recipe may taste nothing like the ingredients.

Cover and refrigerate for one hour to several,
the page reads.
My first Cornwell recipe, and I wait my hour.

When the phone rings, I pick up smiling.
But the news will leave my gruyere alone for nine hours,
and I hope nine is not more than the offered several.

I wonder if my gruyere is drowning in the marinade,
if it feels abandoned and cold,
if it will turn on me, and taste like mustard covered onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment