Monday, December 21, 2009

Protecting Pancakes and Hula


I wanted to tear the book from his thick fingers,
protect it from his roaming eyes.
He didn't turn the pages as I did;
one-by-one, stopping at each picture of old Hawaii,
slicing each side of the pineapple
away from its yellow heart.

He flipped pages, half-read captions,
often mis-reading the descriptions.
He criticized as if I had asked his opinion,
as if he were great enough to judge.
He broke my book like a coconut,
spilling every drop of milk
and leaving the rest to rot.

I had shown him "Pancakes and Hula"
because I thought he would appreciate it.
Not all art needs criticism or understanding.
Why does it matter if she took a thousand photos
and sifted through the sand for sea glass?
Or if these are it?
They're still beautiful, and still hers.
And no matter how little you can appreciate,
I still bought a book of her photography
and not yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment